Medical Energy Rebate

On 3 September 2017 the NSW Government announced an increase in the rates for all NSW energy rebates including the Medical Energy Rebate. The increase is effective from 1 July 2017. This means that some customers will be entitled to an additional rebate payment for the period prior to 3 September. The Department of Planning and Environment is working with electricity retailers for those additional payments to be credited to customer accounts as quickly as possible.

The Medical Energy Rebate is to assist people to pay their electricity bills if they, or someone living with them, have an inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extreme (hot or cold) environmental temperatures. It is associated with certain medical conditions such as Parkinson's disease and Multiple Sclerosis. However, to be eligible for the Rebate a patient will require a separate diagnosis that they are unable to self-regulate their body temperature.

The Medical Energy Rebate provides:

  • $285 (was $235) (excluding GST) a year to eligible customers who hold an electricity account with an electricity retailer of their choice; or,
  • $313.50 (was $258.50) a year to eligible residents of on-supplied residential communities, retirement villages and strata schemes.


To be eligible for the Medical Energy Rebate you need to:

  • be resident in New South Wales; and
  • be a customer of the retailer, or a long-term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name appears on the electricity account for supply to his or her principal place of residence; and
  • submit a valid application form as provided by the Department of Planning and Environment (the Department), which will be made available to customers on the Department's website, duly signed by a registered medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) to verify that either the customer named on the bill or anyone residing at the residence has an inability to self-regulate body temperature*; and
  • hold either a: Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or DHS Health Care Card*; or DVA Gold Card.

* This refers to holders of the Centrelink Health Care Card. If you have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, Low Income Health Care Card, Foster Child Health Care Card or Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card you do not qualify for this rebate.

An eligible customer has an inability to self-regulate body temperature where the eligible customer (or someone living at the supply address of the eligible customer) has been assessed by a registered treating medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) who has been treating them for at least three months as meeting at least one Primary Qualifying Conditions AND at least one Secondary Qualifying Conditions.

What are the Primary Qualifying Conditions?

The Primary Qualifying Conditions are:

  • Autonomic system dysfunction: Medical conditions in which the autonomic system has been damaged, for example severe spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury and neurodegenerative disorders.
  • Loss of skin integrity or loss of sweating capacity: for example, people with significant burns greater than 20 per cent, severe inflammatory skin conditions and some rare forms of disordered sweating.
  • Objective reduction of physiological functioning at extremes of environmental temperatures: for example, people with advanced Multiple Sclerosis.
  • Hypersensitivity to extremes of environmental temperature leading to increased pain or other discomfort or an increased risk of complications; for example, people with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome or Advanced Peripheral Vascular Disease.

What are the Secondary Qualifying Conditions?

The Secondary Qualifying Conditions are:

  • Severe immobility (e.g. such as occurs with Quadriplegia or high level paraplegia, particularly above mid thoracic level (T7) resulting in problems with the self-regulation of body temperature due to a loss of sympathetic nervous system control).
  • Demonstrated significant loss of autonomic regulation of sweating, heart rate or blood pressure.
  • Demonstrated loss of physiological function or significant aggravation of clinical condition at extremes of environmental temperature.

How do I apply for the Medical Energy Rebate?

Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold an electricity account with an electricity retailer of your choice (such as AGL, Energy Australia or Origin) or receive an electricity bill from, or on behalf of, the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.

Medical Energy Rebate On-Supplied Customers

On-supplied is the term used when the resident receives an electricity bill/invoice issued by, or on behalf of, the owners/management of the residential community, retirement village or strata scheme, rather than a bill issued by an electricity retailer of the resident’s choice.

The Medical Energy Rebate application form for on-supplied communities can be obtained from the link below:

If you live in a residential community your completed Medical Energy Rebate form should be submitted to the Department by post:

Medical Energy Rebate
PO Box 435
Parramatta NSW 2124

Medical Energy Rebate - Electricity Retail Customers

If you are billed for electricity by an authorised retailer you will need to fill out the Medical Energy Rebate application form and have it signed by your doctor and submit the completed form to your electricity retailer.

The Medical Energy Rebate application form can be obtained from your electricity retailer or downloaded from the link below:

This application form needs to be filled in and signed by your treating physician of no less than three months (if you are treated by the Royal Flying Doctor Service, the same doctor is not necessarily required to have treated you for three consecutive months).

Frequently asked questions

Need more help?

  • Service NSW: 137 788
  • National Relay Service for Hearing and Speech Impairment: 1300 555 727
  • Hearing and Speech Impairment, TTY users: 133 677
  • Translation and Interpreting Service: 131 450
  • Department of Human Services (Centrelink): 132 300
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA): 133 254