The NSW Gas Plan [2.84 MB PDF] is about securing gas supplies for NSW households and businesses by establishing a safe, sustainable industry.
To find out more:
- Read how the NSW Gas Plan will keep water pure, secure farming futures and protect future generations
- Download Common questions and answers [169 KB PDF]
- Download a Summary of the action plan [1.18 MB PDF]
- Read the NSW Gas Plan progress reports and the latest update on legislation reforms
About the NSW Gas Plan
In developing the NSW Gas Plan, the Government is acting upon the independent advice of the NSW Chief Scientist and Engineer, Professor Mary O'Kane, as set out in the Final Report of the Independent Review of Coal Seam Gas Activities in NSW (243 KB PDF).
This report represents 19 months of work reviewing the coal seam gas industry. The final conclusion of this work is that the risks of gas development can be effectively managed with the right regulation, engineering solutions, and ongoing monitoring and research.
The NSW Gas Plan accepts all Professor O'Kane's recommendations and resets the approach to gas development in NSW.
Under the Plan, the Government will:
- Make better science and information available to decision-makers and the community
- Take a more strategic approach to issuing petroleum exploration titles
- Introduce strong and certain regulation with a lead regulator responsible for compliance and enforcement of conditions of approval for gas activities in NSW
- Share the benefits of gas development with landholders and local communities
- Secure gas supplies by exploring all supply options
NSW Gas Plan documents
- NSW Gas Plan (2.84 MB PDF)
- Government Response to the Final Report of the Independent Review of Coal Seam Gas Activities in NSW by the NSW Chief Scientist and Engineer (78.8 KB PDF)
- NSW Gas Plan Common questions and answers (169 KB PDF)
- NSW Government's Gas Plan (1.18 MB PDF)