Gas Rebate logo On 1 July 2015 the NSW Government introduced a Gas Rebate to help eligible NSW households to pay their natural gas bills.

The NSW Gas Rebate provides:

  • $90 (excluding GST) a year to eligible customers who hold a natural gas account with a natural gas retailer of their choice.


To be eligible for the NSW Gas Rebate, you need to:

  • be resident in New South Wales; and
  • be a customer of the retailer, or a long term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name appears on the gas account for supply of natural gas to his or her principal place of residence; and
  • hold either a:
    • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or
    • DHS Health Care Card; or
    • DVA Gold Card marked with either:
      • War Widow or War Widower Pension; or
      • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI); or
      • Disability Pension (EDA).

Note: Commonwealth Senior Heath Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.

How do I apply for the NSW Gas Rebate?

Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold a natural gas account with an  retailer of your choice or receive a natural gas bill from, or on behalf of, the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.

Click on the links below for information on how to apply.

Frequently asked questions

Need more help?

  • Service NSW: 137 788
  • National Relay Service for Hearing and Speech Impairment: 1300 555 727
  • Hearing and Speech Impairment, TTY users: 133 677
  • Translation and Interpreting Service: 131 450
  • Department of Human Services (Centrelink): 132 300
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA): 133 254

You may be interested in other rebates including:

Family Energy Rebate

Life Support Rebate

Medical Energy Rebate

Energy Accounts Payments Assistance