The Gas Rebate helps eligible NSW households to pay their gas bills.
On 1 July 2016 the NSW Government extended the eligibility criteria for this rebate to include households using Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) for basic households needs such as cooking, heating and hot water.
The Gas Rebate now provides:
- $90 (excluding GST) a year to eligible customers who hold a natural gas account with a gas retailer of their choice, or;
- $99 a year to eligible customers with on-supplied LPG or natural gas and living in residential communities, retirement villages and strata schemes; or
- $99 a year to eligible customers that use delivered LPG for basic household needs such as cooking, heating or hot water. Note: this rebate cannot be claimed for use of small BBQ gasbottles.
To be eligible for the NSW Gas Rebate, you need to:
- be resident in New South Wales; and
- be a customer of the retailer, or
- a long term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name and address appears on the gas account for individually metered consumption of natural gas or Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) to his or her principal place of residence; or
- purchase LPG in cylinders of 45 kilograms or greater to use for domestic cooking, heating or hot water at his or her principal place of residence; and whose name, address and LPG cylinder size purchased or refilled, appears on a tax invoice/receipt issued by his or her LPG supplier, residential community operator, retirement village operator, or strata management company; and
- hold either a:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or
- DHS Health Care Card; or
- DVA Gold Card marked with either:
- War Widow or War Widower Pension, or
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI), or
- Disability Pension (EDA).
Note: Commonwealth Senior Heath Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.
How do I apply for the Gas Rebate
Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold a natural gas account with a retailer of your choice, receive a gas bill for bottled gas from an LPG supplier, or receive a gas bill on behalf of the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.
Click on the links below for information on how to apply.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I receive the rebate if I use LPG?
- Will I still receive the Gas Rebate if I change gas retailers?
- What does on-supplied mean?
- I have two gas accounts. Can I get two Gas Rebates?
- My partner and I both have an eligible concession card. Can we get two rebates?
- Someone in my household holds an eligible concession card, but I don't. Can I get the rebate?
- I have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. Does that mean I'm eligible for this rebate?
Need more help?
- Service NSW: 137 788
- National Relay Service for Hearing and Speech Impairment: 1300 555 727
- Hearing and Speech Impairment, TTY users: 133 677
- Translation and Interpreting Service: 131 450
- Department of Human Services (Centrelink): 132 300
- Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA): 133 254