The Gas Rebate helps eligible NSW households to pay their gas bills.
From 1 July 2016 the NSW Gas Rebate eligibility criteria has been extended to include households using Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) for basic household needs such as cooking, heating and hot water.
The Gas Rebate now provides:
- $90 (excluding GST) per financial year to eligible customers who hold a natural gas account with a gas retailer of their choice, or;
- $99 per financial year year to eligible customers with on-supplied LPG or natural gas and living in residential communities, retirement villages and strata schemes; or
- $99 per financial year to eligible customers that use delivered LPG (bottled gas) for basic household needs such as cooking, heating or hot water.
Note: this rebate cannot be claimed for the use of small BBQ gas bottles or bottled gas less than 45Kg/88L in mass.
To be eligible for the NSW Gas Rebate, you need to:
- be a resident in New South Wales; and
- be the account holder of a natural gas account with a retailer, or
- be a long term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name and address appears on the gas account for individually metered consumption of natural gas or Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) to his or her principal place of residence; or
- purchase LPG in cylinders 45Kg/88L or greater to use for domestic cooking, heating or hot water at your principal place of residence; and your name, address, LPG cylinder size and date of LPG purchase/refill appears on a tax invoice/receipt issued by your LPG supplier; and
- hold either a:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or
- DHS Health Care Card; or
- DVA Gold Card marked with either:
- War Widow or War Widower Pension, or
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI), or
- Disability Pension (EDA).
Note: Commonwealth Senior Heath Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.
How do I apply for the Gas Rebate?
Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold a natural gas account with a retailer (such as AGL, Energy Australia or Dodo), receive a gas bill for bottled gas from an LPG supplier, or receive a gas bill on behalf of the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.
If you have a natural gas account with an authorised energy retailer then you apply for the NSW Gas Rebate directly to your retailer. To do this you simply need to contact your retailer and notify them of the type of concession card you hold (Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or Gold DVA card) and ask them to apply the NSW Gas Rebate to your account.
On-Supplied and LPG Customers
If you purchase LPG bottled gas, have your LPG bottles refilled, or are billed for your gas (LPG or natural gas) by your residential community/retirement village/strata scheme, then you need to complete a paper application form for the NSW Gas Rebate and post it to the Department at:
NSW Gas Rebate
Locked Bag 5123
Parramatta, NSW 2124
Please ensure that you attach a valid invoice when you submit your paper application form. A valid invoice must include:
- the applicant's name
- the applicant's address
- the size/amount of the gas purchased or refilled (For LPG-minimum cylinder size 45Kg/88L)
- the date of purchase/refill (must be dated within the current financial year for which you are applying i.e 2016/17, 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017)
Please note that your invoice must be printed. If you have not received a printed invoice, contact your supplier and ask them to print an invoice for you. If you believe there is sufficient cause for the Department to accept your hand-written invoice, please contact us and we will assess your circumstances on a case by case basis. The Department will only consider hand-written invoices prepared from a branded invoice book (company stamps will not be accepted) and only when the supplier does not have the capacity to provide printed invoices.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I receive the rebate if I use LPG?
- Will I still receive the Gas Rebate if I change gas retailers?
- What does on-supplied mean?
- I have two gas accounts. Can I get two Gas Rebates?
- My partner and I both have an eligible concession card. Can we get two rebates?
- Someone in my household holds an eligible concession card, but I don't. Can I get the rebate?
- I have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. Does that mean I'm eligible for this rebate?
Need more help?
- Service NSW: 137 788
- National Relay Service for Hearing and Speech Impairment: 1300 555 727
- Hearing and Speech Impairment, TTY users: 133 677
- Translation and Interpreting Service: 131 450
- Department of Human Services (Centrelink): 132 300
- Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA): 133 254