LIHR logo The Low Income Household Rebate helps eligible NSW households to pay their electricity bills. The Low Income Household Rebate provides:

  • $235 (excluding GST) a year to eligible customers who hold an electricity account, or;
  • $258.50 a year to eligible long-term residents of residential communities (caravan and mobile home parks) and retirement villages who receive electricity bills from their community operators.


To be eligible for the Low Income Household Rebate, you need to:

  • be a resident in New South Wales; and
  • be a customer of the retailer, or a long term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name appears on the electricity account for supply to his or her principal place of residence; and
  • hold either a:
    • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or
    • DHS Health Care Card; or
    • DVA Gold Card marked with either:
      • War Widow or War Widower Pension; or
      • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI); or
      • Disability Pension (EDA).
  • Note: Commonwealth Senior Heath Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.

How to apply

Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold an electricity account with a retailer (such as AGL, Energy Australia or Origin), or if you receive an electricity bill on behalf of the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.

Retailer Customers

If you have an electricity account with an authorised energy retailer then you apply for the NSW Low Income Household Rebate directly to your retailer. To do this you simply need to contact your retailer and notify them of the type of concession card you hold (Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or Gold DVA card) and ask them to apply the NSW Low Income Household Rebate to your account.

On-Supplied Customers

If you receive an invoice for your electricity usage from your residential community/retirement village/strata scheme, then you need to complete a paper application form for the NSW Low Income Household Rebate and post it to the Department at:

NSW Low Income Household Rebate
Locked Bag 5123
Parramatta, NSW 2124

You must also attach a copy of your most recent electricity invoice with your paper application form. Your invoice must include:

  • the applicant's name printed on it
  • the applicant's address printed on it
  • the, most recent, meter read dates for your household.

    NOTE: We cannot accept bills older than 3 months. For example if you send in your application in April 2017 and you receive a bill every 3 months, we can accept a bill with meter read dates 1/1/2017- 31/3/2017, but not a bill that shows meter read dates from 1/9/2016-31/12/2017. If you are having trouble receiving your invoice on time, follow this up with your community and send it to us once you have received it.

Frequently asked questions


Phone Service NSW on 137 788 or locate a service centre near you.

Support services

  • National Relay Service for Hearing and Speech Impairment: 1300 555 727
  • Hearing and Speech Impairment, TTY users: 133 677
  • Translation and Interpreting Service: 131 450
  • Department of Human Services (Centrelink): 132 300
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA): 133 254